Thursday 3 October 2013

Travel Time - NYC

I love travelling, there is something about going to new places which just makes me so happy. I have decided that I wanted to share some of the places I have been and some of the things which I loved doing while there. 


First stop - NYC

I have chosen New York City to start as it's my favourite place to visit and is the place where I will be come end of October for a much needed short break. My thought on NYC is that you either love it or hate it. No one can say, "It's just ok." 

So, a bit of a back story on this wonderful city. My love affair began when I was 20 - my brother chose to get married in Central Park. Myself and family made he trip out and when driving into the city I though, "Is this it?" I have to admit I wasn't totally taken, in fact I was slightly scared. This, as you know, did not last long at all. I stayed in the 30/30 (Now known as King and Grove after a short spell as Hotel LoLa). In my days in the city me and my family did the whole sight seeing thing and as I was immersed in the buildings I realised that my initial reaction was changing and changing fast. The big change for me was The Empire State building - this is where I cemented my love with NYC.
 
What to do in the city?


Empire State Building


I would advise to pre-book tickets and if possible gain fast track, especially if you're going in the Summer or Christmas time. The views of the city are just unreal so I don' want to spoil it for you. It literally too my breath away when I first looked out. It is definitely somewhere which should be your number 1 site to visit. 


Madison Square Garden


 
If, like me, you're a hockey fan than catching a game at MSG is a must! Unfortunately for me I witnessed a loss but it was still amazing to be a part of. If you are wanting to catch a game, I can't stress enough that you need to pre-book!! If you expect to turn up and buy a ticket a couple days before or game day itself then you will be left extremely disappointed. Also, do not buy from those selling 'tickets' outside and around the venue. The possibility of being ripped off are higher than high. I actually met a couple who had been swindled and believe me, there are better ways to spend a few hundred dollars. If you can't get a ticket? Watching a game in a sports bar is another favourite of mine. You see the game close on big screens, the drinks are flowing and you're in a party atmosphere.

Brooklyn Bridge


This has to be another favourite of mine. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge. It is quite a walk so make sure you are well prepared! At midday, you will find office staff out power walking and running. You will also find lots of cyclists so please take note of the correct paths! I've walked into Brooklyn and also down to the area known as DUMBO. This area is where you can look over towards Manhattan and gain super views of the bridge. It also houses Grimaldi's pizza shop which is definitely worth a visit! Make sure to get there early as yes, people do queue.


Bars and Nightlife

 
If there is one thing NYC is not short of, it's places to drink and party! I have had some of my best nights out in Manhattan. This includes partying with boys in bands, after hour drinks with my favourite bartenders (friends of mine now), cocktails in a speak easy place as well as many different sports bars. A couple of places you should check out:

Death&Co - A place which takes their cocktails very seriously. If you're a vodka fan, like me, you have no choice as vodka is the spirit they don't use. The place is exclusive and the waiting list can be loooonnnnggggg. It only seats about 50 and you have to get past the doorman but it's cool place to see and I loved it.

230 Fifth - Again, it's an exclusive cocktail bar. You access it by riding a lift to the top of what looks like a business building. You come out into a large bar surrounded by floor to ceiling windows with views of the city. If you take he stairs up you then come out into an outdoor bar with views of the Empire State building and the rest of the city - lights all twinkling. If you're there in Winter? It doesn't matter - you get fetching red robes to keep you warm.

The Flying Puck - This is a hockey bar where the drinks flow and the games go. I love the vibe and met a good friend who worked there. It's a fun atmosphere on game days, normal days maybe not the p[lace to visit for a party.

There are, of course, so many more places but I will save those for another day. 


Have a head over to Travel Babbles where I am lucky enough to be featured by the fantastic Kym!  
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed today's little glimpse into NYC - I have a lot more where this comes from for this city. Feel free to contact me with any questions about my travels.
 
 
 
 
 
Venus Trapped in Mars
FollowtheRuels

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...