Tuesday 10 September 2013

Frugal living... money saving time.

A few weeks back I blogged about my new savings routine of using envelopes to help focus my spending habits. It's not that I was going over budget as such, I just hadn't really set myself a budget. With being unwell, the last thing my head could deal with was numbers and bills so I admit I buried my head slightly.

Also, with my sister's wedding, I spent a lot more than I thought with the little things I helped with as well as the wedding necessities such as hair, beauty, jewellery etc. So after this I decided it was time I began to take stock of my incomings and outgoings and to see where I could gain a little extra cash!

If you are wondering about the envelope system click here


So, I set my envelopes up and began a month of cash spending. I have to say, it does take some discipline but, being slightly OCD, I stuck to my routine and get on with it. When my mind was set on the saving it was amazing how focused I became. No more mid week take away (my figure AND bank balance will thank me for that), no more supermarket browsing or rash purchases. 

Time to help myself [Source]

My weekly shop is where I have made some amazing savings! I have switched supermarkets. I decided to try a supermarket which markets itself as a budget place. Where best to start? So I decided I would do a weeks shop there and check out the products. I liked all the food and realised that I had saved money so that was my first brainwave. I then realised I would wander aimlessly shopping so decided to tackle that. So what did I do? I made myself a meal plan.


My attitude when going food shopping... without a list! [Source]
The meal plan kinda worked in two ways. Earlier in the year I had severe anaemia and began to look at my eating habits (yep, take away was not going to help here either) and started to change. I began to eat healthier. With the realisation of my high anxiety I began to plan more and put this into my meal times. Before shopping, I make a list of what I will have for tea each night as well as my dinner and shop accordingly. I do throw in a treat each week because I am not THAT self disciplined. From planning, my shop is much more effective and when it is written down, I am more likely to eat regular meals because I don't have a a panic over what to cook when I return from work. 

So, what is the savings of this? Something which takes me a minute to plan. Well, I have been saving around £12 a week!!That's about $18. That almost pays for my petrol for the week.


It's like free money, kind of... ok, not really! [Source]

I have also began to search for vouchers and coupons which has led me to save on my fitness regime. Through using a voucher, I saved £10 on a monthly membership and got it for £25 ( I was currently paying £8 a week). My nights out money was set aside at the start of the month and I have to say this has been a big saving just because I haven't had many nights out lately (that's another story).

By using cash, I am really starting to see how much money I am spending and I am much less likely to just make a rash purchase. When I use my cash card I don't think too much, it just all adds up! I still carry my card for emergencies but I've only used it once so far. 


As well as saving money, I have been trying to make some money. When I moved into my own apartment, the person I bought it from said I could keep the wardrobes, sofa bed and coffee table. I was going to throw them out but then thought... Surely I can make some money from these? So I put them on Gumtree which is an on line selling website. I've nearly sold all so with that I have even MADE over £100 profit! No one can say I'm not taking my NYC savings seriously! 


It's amazing how focused I can be sometimes [Source]


All in all, I am feeling confident for my final savings total for the month! 

Do you have any money saving tips?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...