Thursday 29 August 2013

The first time I felt the fear ... and needed crash mats for pole class!

I have been pole dancing (for fitness) for a number of years now and I love it. You can read about why I started here and check out one of my moves here. I have never felt scared of any of my moves before, and than incldes hanging from the pole with one knee!

That was until yesterday... duh, duh, duuuhhh. My pole instructor gave me a new move. I have been working on a twisted handspring for many weeks now and whlie I an hold the move if helped into it with a little push - I can't quite get there yet. It is starting to furstrate me and my arms are finding it wearing. So the new move came.

"Missy - I want to work on the Russian Splits with you today," was her introduction. In my head all I could think was - But i can't do the splits? Apparently that is not needed (regardless of the name). So we got to it, my instructor got YouTube going and showed me the Russian Splits. My mouth dropped and my first impression was WTH? How was this possible? How would I not fall off the pole? 



Just to clarify, this is not me (I wish!)

Then the fear gripped me. It was something which I had not encountered with a pole move before. Normally I have a sense of excitement and feel ready to get to grips with the move. This time, fear was mixed in with it. We began the move from the ground which was not all too scary, just taxing on my body. However, the thought of working my way up the pole into this crazy move was playing on my mind.

By the end of the session I had managed to complete the move from the ground a few times but more often than not I found myself tumbling off the pole. Needless to say, my instructor and I had a good laugh with this one. She has not done this move before and was attempting it for the first time. We had a number of yoga mats piled up as crash mats which were most definitly needed. I don't know how long this will take to get or if I will ever get to the point of doing this from higher up the pole. I will keep you all up to date with this one.


Have you ever had a workout challenge?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...