Sunday 18 November 2012

Grief reveals you...


" Grief does not change you, it reveals you."
John Green


Grief is something which I have had to deal with for 18 days now. Yep, I am counting in days still. It has been 18 days since my big brother lost his battle with cancer and left the world which I am still in. 

Has it gotten easier? Yes - doesn't everything after time?

Am I feeling better? No.

When asked how I am doing, I never know how to answer. Do people really want to know my answer and listen to me or are they being polite and doing what they believe is expected? I never know and for that reason I keep my cards close to my chest. I usually respond with, " Yea, one day at a time." Which is really not something I am taking comfort in at the very moment.

The quote which I have started with definitely rang true to me when I read it. It isn't changing me, more revealing a strength I didn't know I had which is obviously because I have never needed to use it before. When my Grandparents passed away, I was upset but this is something totally different. I feel like this was not the time for him to leave us. The longer time passes, I realise just how selfish this is of me of course. Why should ha have suffered more just because I want to talk to him again?

I have had to find the strength to do such simple everyday things. At work, I have gradually grew comfortable being in front of my class again. When I first returned I felt anxious with all their eyes watching me when I was unsure of whether I could get through a lesson without breaking down. In fact, many of my moments of fun this week have been in my classroom when the children have been excited about something or have shared stories with me or just seeing them laughing. 

One thing my brother began to instill in us all is to find the beauty in simple pleasures and hearing a child laugh is one of those. I take pleasure in the sun shine on cold November days and feel like it's him smiling at me. I am delving into books and reading a lot, anything to take my mind to a different place helps me.

By revealing my strength and patience and fragility (to some), I am beginning to adapt my outlook on life and relationships with all in my life. These life changing moments test the strongest friendships and I hate to say but I feel some of mine have failed. Some however, I feel like I am letting fail, a good friend of mine is having issues with her work but I am pushing her away. Not to hurt her or that I don't want her around, I just am not ready to help her deal with her problems because I am so heartbroken with my grief. I have found my patience - which is something I have always been known for - has gone. It will come back but I know this will take time. I am being selfish because at this moment I need to find myself in a more secure and safe space in my own thoughts and life. 




I guess my grief is revealing me to be a stronger person than some thought. Many people have called me brave for returning to work so soon - and what a tough week it has been. But in some ways I have to disagree with the quote, there is no way NOT to change when dealing with grief. I am not the same person I was in that I have fears over things which I never had, I have something missing from me which was has always been there and I have a unnerving sadness in me which can not be softened at this moment. 

Time is passing, I am becoming more settled, but I already know that a little gap in my heart will be there forever now. The break will heal and patch up but that gap will not.


Thank you for all the blog love comments of support and kindness ... I appreciate them all, you wonderful people. 

7 comments:

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

This is such a wonderful post. You have to give yourself credit.. it takes a lot to write what you just did and be that honest!

Hats off to you!

Wishing you lots of love and hugs from here!

xoxo
Lisa

High Heeled Life said...

Missy ... my heart goes out to you and yes, you are going to discover strength you could have never imagined before. Life is what happens when we are busy making plans, I learned this first hand.. and people will surprise you - the ones you thought would be there - often aren't and the ones you thought would not - are.

Take time for yourself, heal and when you are ready to help others with their challenges, you will. You are not being selfish ... you are surviving. I wish you peace and light and that you will soon go from surviving to thriving! xo HHL

Kerri Andersen said...

i am so sorry about your brother. i really canNOT imagine going through that.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@ Lisa - Thank you Lisa. I have to say, I don't always feel brave at the moment but I am trying to be hat and honest. Lovely compliment and thanks for the hugs :-)

@HHL - You're right, you never know when you find new strength. The taking time for myself is proving difficult, I am throwing myself into work but trying to find a balance. As of yet, I still struggle o be around groups as I feel lost I guess. Here's to surviving to striving!

@Kerri - Thank you Kerri, It's lovely to hear support!

x x x

Unknown said...

Missy,
What a beautiful post. I wish I could just smother you right now in hugs...know that I send you them thru the computer. Cancer is ugly. But, what a legacy your brother left, to look at the sunshine and to dwell on the simple & sweetness of life. Shine your light my friend and if you need anything at all, I am here for you. The pain will get easier this I know and the memories will get sweeter and sweeter with time. with love, Melody

Unknown said...

This post certainly was difficult to read and I can only imagine how difficult it must've been to write, to live. You are less alone than you might feel right now and the sharing of your tragic experience here means that someone somewhere may stumble upon your post and realize that they too are less alone on this journey.

I'm following you now from the link up but really it all seems so unnecessary to state now. If/ when you are up for company, we are riding the wave of life together at Local Sugar Hawaii. It's a come as you are kind of place. You are always welcome to join us.

Take Care You,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@ MM - Thank you so much for your kindness. It means a lot to hear such beautiful words. Thank you.

@Nicole - Thank you, it was difficult to share but if I can help myself that's great. If I can help others then that;s even better. Thanks for the wise words...life is definitly one giant wave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...