Monday 27 June 2011

Soulmates...

The subject of soul mates is a popular one and many people have had their say about them. Plato believed that all people were born with four arms, four legs, and a single head made of two faces, but the powerful Zeus feared their power and split them all in half, therefore making them spend their lives searching for their other half to complete themselves.

When I was on holiday I went to see a tarot reader. She was very insightful and talked about a variety of subjects. She was talking about my love life and different factors around it and began to talk about soul mates. She said she believed that everyone has two soul mates:

1- The one we have a connection with in a spirit way.

2- The one which we settle down with and have kids and a life with etc.

There's always been this notion of 'There is one person for everyone' and I think this will always be around. However, I very much disagree with this.

As I have talked about here before, we meet people throughout our lives who make an impact on us. Maybe these people are fleeting soul mates?What about friends- are they not soul mates? Surely soul mates can't simply be defined as the person you settle down with. That in my eyes is one of the loves of your life, again this could change. We all grow older (unfortunately) and change and have different aspirations. This can affect who we spend our time with. If you're lucky you will meet a person who will have the same aspirations as yourself or at least someone who backs you up and wants you to achieve your dreams without feeling this would make them look inferior. 


Personally I believe that we have soul mates, not just in love but also in friendships. Sometimes you meet someone who just 'gets you'. I really don't know how else to put it. The person understands you, questions you, makes you laugh, be more positive and above all else happy. These qualities are qualities of all friends but a soul mate friend just has that extra bit which I can't describe. I suppose it's one of those you will know it when you find it kinda things. 

In love, soul mates are people which everyone aspires to find because if you meet your soul mate you will never be alone again. You will be on a journey with someone who is everything a friend soul mate is and more. The idea of that is just wonderful and the people who give up on finding this and 'settle' make me feel sad because they don't know what they're missing. Or maybe they do but don't think they can ever get it or deserve it?

When looking up ideas and thoughts about soul mates I came across this:



I like this idea but I disagree with the thought that you can't live with your soul mate. Yes some may come and go but some will still and that is very special. In the idea of relationships, yes they can be painful but sometimes the pain is what's needed in order to reach a certain place. 

I like the thought that a soul mate is a person who compliments you and grounds you in a way that no other can. A soul mate is the person who truly knows you and loves everything about you and this can be found in friendships and love relationships. If there is one thing I am sure of, it is that there are more than one type of soul mate for everyone.

What are your thoughts on soul mates?


12 comments:

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

I agree with this post, and i love it! It reminds me of one of the episodes in sex and the city when they are talking about soul mates, and then charlotte says "Don't laugh at me... but maybe we could be each other’s soul mates. And then we could just let men be just these great nice guys to have fun with."
For the most part i feel that quote is very true to my friendships.
Don’t get me wrong i do believe there are souls mates out there for us, but i feel the people that know you the most FIRST are always your friends, then comes a Man your other soul mate.
Dont get me wrong i do believe there are souls mates out there for us, but i feel the people that know you the most FIRST are always your friends, then comes a Man your other soul mate.
Well aleast thats how it has been in my life!

Xoxo

Lisa

Paula said...

Over from BF and very much agree with your opinion that one can live with the soul mate. Even when it is often painful and showing ones addictions and shortcomings.
I am German and met my American husband roughly 8 years ago in Spain. I moved to the USA last December! Our relation is painful, our relation is enriching, passionate; teaching and learning form one another. When the student is ready the teacher arrives.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I agree, I think we all have soulmates. We find them in our partner, good friends, and family. There just isn't one, which is awesome! Great post, Missy. Oh, and I just KNEW you would love some Jenny Jones too. Can we be besties in real life?!

Rebecca said...

Great post, Missy! I agree with you, soulmates exist in one way or another. Thinking of soulmates leaves me struggling though, because I felt and still feel that ex-files was my soulmate and on one hand, it is painful to know that he will remain a soulmate that will be forever separated from me, on the other hand, it makes me wonder whether him and I should ever even stop trying to fix whatever it is that is keeping us away from each other.

Just miss c said...

Here from Mingle Monday. I think everyone has two soulmates as I've had two. A guy that I had a connection with but it didn't work and the man that I'm now engaged to and meant to spend my life with.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@ Lisa- I remember that one now!! Hahah!! Bless Charlotte, but so right! I definitly think one of my friends is a soulmate. Also, they usually come first!
@Paula- Thanks for the agreement. I think somtimes things do hurt or are hard because evryone is so different. It would be so boring if we all had the same thoughts. Congratulations on overcoming the barriers to be together!
@Lindsey- You got it 100% right there I think :-) Also, yes.. we are now officially BFF's!! haha!! Honestly I reckon we'd be quite a force to be reckoned with in real life haha!!
@Reb- Maybe exfiles is type of soulmate talked about where they come into your life to make you question yourself and discover things about yourself. Look at it as showing you not just what you want from a relationship but also what you don't want.
@Miss C- So pleased to hear you've found a soilmate :-) Congratulations on the engagement!

Jenn said...

Wow--this is a profound topic. I hadn't really thought of it in the ways that you've brought up in your post. Im still pondering...:)
Happy Monday!
Jenn @ Going the Distance

Shay said...

I really like this different perspective. I just finished reading "Love the one your with" by Emily Griffin and in there they talk about having 2 soulmates- so interesting!

Shaneiferd said...

I can't say I still believe in the idea of soulmates. I used to believe in this years ago but not so much anymore. Admittedly, the concept is attractive...but something about it doesn't feel right.

To me, friendships and relationships occur by random chance. However, I agree with you when you say that these people come into our lives to show us another part of ourselves, or to break open our hearts to let new light in.

You might like this short essay, some of its themes are very similar to your ideas about soulmates:

http://www.anvari.org/fun/Misc/Reason_Season_Lifetime.html

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Jenn- Glad to see I've got you thinking. I think it's extremely valuable to get our thoughts about this sorted in our minds.
@Shalyn- Pleased you liked it :-) It's definitly an interesting subject!
@Shane- Thanks for the link. That's very intersting and I can totally see whole idea behind it.I like th idea of how they sorted them into 3 different types of people. I kinda think soulmates is like the fairytales for grown ups haha!! I'm sure something will happen to retsore you belief a little more :-)

Travel With Lulu said...

Hmm, I do think a soul mate can be a friend or a spouse, and if you are lucky, your spouse is your best friend. I think not only do you 'get' each other, but you make each other a better person by bringing out the best in one another.

Thank you for this food for thought for the Post Of The Month Club! XOLaura

American in Bath said...

visiting from Happy Homemaker. So glad to see someone who isn't all caught up in the whirlwind of perfection and is so aware of how lucky we are to have others many others in our lives.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...