Monday 17 January 2011

Female sports fan...no way!

Yesterday I blogged about seeing my hockey team play and lose a match which quite frankly they were unlucky to lose. I made references there to being labelled a ‘puck bunny’. After a comment by one of my favourite bloggers (Hockey Wife) where she too admitted to some ‘He’s hot!’ moments it got me thinking about female sports fans.

I grew up in a house full of brothers and I have always been involved in rough and tumble games because of that. One of my favourite games when younger was to play wrestling. We would pile the settee cushions on each other and do various flying moves haha! It wasn’t just me, as you know I also have Miss Twin in my life. The two of us were a bit crazy if I do say so myself! So from a young age we watched football (or Soccer to my American friends) and wrestling. I loved it and in some ways that has helped me to be good in my jobs as I am able to relate to the boys I teach by talk of football and sports etc as well as fashion etc with the girls.


Bear in mind I have always had a love of sport and could have a technical discussion about cricket, football, wrestling (and by technical I mean discuss the story line haha) and hockey I still get judged. The first hockey match I attended I dressed like I would any other day: skinny jeans, knee boots (it was cold), pretty top, nice coat and a chained handle handbag (my favourite at the time). A friend who sat in front of us- Mr JD- (who now attends games with us) said he looked at me and thought – nah she wont last more than a few games. Now? I’m there more than he is, I can tell you which player has transferred and where to, the standings, the latest rumours etc. This is because I genuinely enjoy the game and have an interest in it. How do I dress now... further down the line since that fateful first hook up with hockey? Exactly the same- still the heeled boots and pretty tops. Obviously I own jerseys too which I wear regularly of course! However, as much as Mr JD knows now that I am there for the game it doesn’t stop random people around the rink looking at me like ‘Yep..you’re here for the players.’ As mentioned yesterday...of course I’m going to look at the players. They’re attractive but I can still recount the game.

Choose your weapon...


*Image from Every stock photo



The same with girls and football. If you say you like it, you get the usual...You just want to be a WAG look (that’s Wives and Girlfriends if you’re not familiar). Then when they mention the off-side rule and you recount it perfectly the face changes into an, ‘Ahh so you do like the game.’ If you want my opinion, I don’t actually find many football players attractive, except David Beckham of course! The thing is though, after they realise you do like the game, 5 minutes later they are back to thinking you’re eyeing everyone up.


The funny thing is, is that what seems to be a deciding factor in whether you are judged to be a ‘real fan’ or ‘puck bunny’/ ‘WAG’ etc seems to be based a lot on how you dress. Yes, I’m into the rough stuff of hockey etc but I still have many girly qualities and I am renowned at work and out of it for always looking ‘preened’. Now put this down to a confidence thing... my fashion, make up and clothing is like my mask, It’s something which I find comfortable to hide behind. To others, well I am perceived to be high maintenance. At sporting events this takes a turn into the realm of being ‘pretty for the players’. Strange or what? It’s something that’s never going to change. If  I’m going to a game I’m going to make sure my hair is done, my makeup is on, my clothes look nice just as much as I would when going out for a shopping day.  Will I start ‘dressing down’ just to not be judged? No way!! I am what I am and people can say what they want because I really don’t care.  I am quite content being a mulberry bag toting, preened and glam sports fan!! If the games good- well then I’m good. 


My weapons of choice... :-)
To all you female sports fans out there...it’s tough but whatever you wear, whatever people say, whatever people think just don’t let it bother you. Laugh it off, enjoy the game and by all means check out those hot guys!! After all, that’s what they’re there for surely?!
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...